This week in incoherence – 3/18/17
incoherence: the quality of being illogical, inconsistent, or unclear
Check out these recent news items for more examples of an all too common tendency.
FOUR TIMES REPUBLICANS FACED OUTRAGE FOR THINGS DEMS DID FIRST
I know that when your party gets demoted it’s very natural to go on the offensive and try and knock the top dog down a few notches. Both parties respond this way when they lose their majority privileges. But they would be wise to do a little research before making accusations that end up exposing them for incoherence and hypocrisy.
ZAC POSEN ON FASHION, FAME, AND WHY HE WON’T DESIGN CLOTHES FOR IVANKA AND MELANIA TRUMP
A well-known fashion designer chooses to decline serving members of the first family because of issues that are “close to [his] heart” saying, “I think it’s important to use your voice.” He’s applauded for taking a stand by those on the left because they agree with him on the particular issues, “LGBT rights, immigration, funding for the arts, Planned Parenthood, and women’s rights.” Yet others who likewise take a stand for what they believe by politely sending folks elsewhere for wedding cakes and flowers are called bigots and hauled into court.
WHY PLANNED PARENTHOOD DOES NOT WANT FEDERAL FUNDING
Planned Parenthood, the nation’s largest abortion provider, and its supporters, frequently claim that abortions count for only 3% of its services to women and that the loss of federal funding would deprive women of the other 97%. So with the Republican Congress poised to defund them of half a billion annual dollars, when President Trump offered to continue and even work to increase the funding if they would simply agree to close that very tiny abortion wing, you would think, in the interest of providing all those other services to women, they would take the offer. Their refusal to do so demonstrates their duplicity as well as their determination to protect their money-making, baby-killing business at all costs. Because that’s what it’s always been about.
RYERSON INSTRUCTOR TELLS STUDENT TO ONLY RELY ON FEMINIST JOURNALS
Another example of how some university instructors and professors use their platform to indoctrinate rather than teach the facts, encourage critical thinking, and help students achieve their personal goals. Not content to foster “unity in diversity,” when a student’s point of view is deemed so diverse as to be politically incorrect some professors feel duty-bound to ensure uniformity and condemn diversity instead.